:: Re: [DNG] ..the D in Systemd is for…
Author: Dan Purgert
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..the D in Systemd is for Directories: Poettering says his creation will phone /home in future ... albeit with broken SSH login
On Sep 27, 2019, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 27/09/2019 à 00:25, Steve Litt a écrit :
>> Show of hands: Who ever perceived a problem with using /etc/passwd,
>> /etc/shadow, and /etc/group? They just worked .
>

>     Imagine a computer with no user, just root, and an empty /home
> directory. You plug in your USB disk and, automatically, your disk is
> mounted under /home /and you become a user of this laptop/ - no need
> to have root priviledge and enter your name and password in the
> database. There's nothing precious on the computer, except the
> contents of /your/ disk.

So, now we're implicitly trusting $distro to maintain security for us,
and $initsystem to not include a small hook to send telemetry back to
$distro?

I'm pretty sure that's one of many reasons many "Windows Users" have
been coming over to various distros (and subsequently complaining said
distros aren't easy because they're not Windows).

--
|_|O|_|