:: Re: [devuan-dev] Improving the init…
Author: onefang
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Improving the init situation on Devuan and Debian
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 14:22:22 +0000 alecmaillist@??? said :

>     Sysvinit

>     Now, let’s say you decide to uninstall systemd and replace it
> with sysvinit, as you don’t think systemd reinstalling itself will be
> an issue. As a second and easier option, you decide instead to
> install Devuan and have sysvinit installed by default, with any of
> the possible caveats listed in the directions taken away. If you
> prefer good old-fashioned bash scripts, and /etc/initab for modifying
> the runlevels, what processes to start and monitor, etc., that’s
> great for you! Supporting that as an option is necessary for
> backwards compatibility, and for many people, “it just works”.
> However, writing sysvinit scripts can be a hassle, as they are shell
> scripts through and through.

This is not entirely true. A long time ago I wrote a version of the
sysvinit system following the LSB standard, and entirely in C,
including some example "scripts", also in C. There is nothing in the
standard that says the init "scripts" have to be shell scripts. At
least there wasn't at the time. If the standard is followed, they can
be written in any language. The sysv init process doesn't have to be
slow either.