:: Re: [DNG] Updating Devuan on a Beag…
Author: Antoine
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Updating Devuan on a Beaglebone Black
On Thursday, 29 August at 19:08, Antoine wrote:
> I've been trying to update my Beaglebone Black from ASCII to Beowulf.
> Everything is working just fine, with one exception: the kernel. As far as I
> can tell, the root filesystem didn't have a copy of the kernel at all before
> the upgrade: only the boot partition had a static kernel and initial
> userspace. Note "static": that's what I'm having trouble with. The boot
> partition contains a vfat filesystem (for u-boot) and the currently-running
> kernel doesn't know how to read it.

(snip)

Update: the kernel isn't static after all (despite what I thought). Instead,
the list of module dependencies isn't present in the Devuan ASCII image for
BeagleBone. Modules start working again after running "depmod"; mounting
/dev/mmcblk0p1 also works.
So I copied the kernel and initrd to mmcblk0p1 and rebooted. Now bootup
stalls with:

[    6.278412] Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...

It looks as if I'm going to need to dig in to u-boot.

Antoine

--
There are no drinking laws, only sober ones.