:: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan mee…
Author: Evilham
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Jul. 24, 2019
> And now for your kind attention, the devuan-dev meet notes for

> - the grub2 saga: further investigation done with parazyd shows
> that the
>   problem is caused by lsb_release taking the ID= from
>   /etc/os-release
>   (don't mind the case difference, lsb does tr for first char
>   uppercase!) this is a problem affecting a lot of other things
>   that
>   refuse to work on anything not debian.... and so
>   We propose to NOT change the ID in /etc/os-release (in our
>   forked
>   base-files)
>   - (Centurion_Dan) - I think that we should file bug-reports in
>   debian
>     with patches for every package that looks at /etc/os-release
>     ensure they do sane things with it.  But for beowulf, we
>     will change
>     the ID in /etc/os-release back to "Debian"

> Resolutions: Consensus to change that do "debian" in order to
> not fork
> too many packages included grub2 now constituting the problem
> Centurion_Dan will commit the change to the base-files package

Is this final?

Just adding some further facts of, e.g. things like ansible will
now think a Devuan Beowulf installation is Debian Stretch:

       "ansible_distribution": "Debian",
       "ansible_distribution_file_variety": "Debian",

As opposed to:

       "ansible_distribution": "Devuan",
       "ansible_distribution_file_variety": "Debian",

That's the most obvious one I just thought of, but this
effectively means that anything that was already relying on being
able to treat Debian and Devuan apart, often via lsb_release -i,
will confuse the two and maybe try to do systemd stuff (and fail
at it).

I'm also unsure how things like unattended-upgrades will react,
that package relies on lsb_release saying that the OS is Devuan,
in order to put the proper config file in-place and not one for
Debian's, rendering the package useless without manual config,
other things may not be as harmless.

The benefits may be deemed greater than this class of issues, I'm
just mentioning these two, and there could be a bunch more :-).
--
Evilham