:: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc…
Author: Tony Lindgren
To: Pavel Machek
CC: Merlijn Wajer, maemo-leste, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Sebastian Reichel
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc1, development boards
* Pavel Machek <pavel@???> [190729 19:29]:
> Hi!

> > > This line is probably bad idea. I was using it to get hacked ofonod to
> > > work, but you probably don't need it.
> >
> > Just checking: is the "hacked ofonod" still the way to try out the modem
> > on this kernel, or is regular ofono OK?
>
> Regular ofono is not a way to go :-(.
>
> It may be easiest to start with minicom.. and enter AT commands
> manually.

Doing voice calls with just direct AT commands would be trivial :)
It can be done with just:

$ printf "ATD%s,0\r" "${phone_number}" > /dev/motmdm1
$ printf "ATH\r" > /dev/motmdm1

SMS requires some library to deal with the PDU encoding and decoding,
but other than that handling SMS directly would be trivial too. I was
only able to find ruby pdu_tools to deal with that properly. If there
are other (working) alternatives let me know too.

Also direct SIM card access later on probably would need some tools
too, I guess gnokii or some older tools could be somewhat usable.

We do have ofono provide all these, at least I'm not aware of any
other usable alternative tools. It's just that adding support to
ofono for the /dev/motmdm* ports sucks :(

If we want to search for alternatives, how about direct AT access
via /dev/motmdm1 for voice calls, and then let modemmanager handle
data and sim card over usb via qmi? Not sure what we should do with
SMS in that case though unless there's some decent library for PDU..

Regards,

Tony