:: Re: [DNG] Weird problem with every …
Author: Andrew McGlashan
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Weird problem with every kernel update
Hi,

On 27/6/19 10:00 am, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 01:10:20AM +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>> On 25/6/19 10:23 am, Gregory Nowak wrote:

>>> Do you have the necessary module entries for your USB
>>> controller/hub in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules?
>>
>> Yes, I'm sure I actually have some extra modules in there just in
>> case that won't hurt to be there and the rescue boot picks up the
>> chroot environment copy of the modules file okay.
>
> Even though the kernel upgrade scripts generate a new initramfs,
> have you tried generating them by hand with update-initramfs -u -k
> all after the upgrade process? What about creating them from
> scratch with the -c flag instead of -u? I don't see why either of
> those would make a difference, but it wouldn't hurt to check if
> they do for some reason. That's all I can think of for now.

Okay, it turns out that Devuan Jessie includes two extra modules that
needed to be added to the Devuan Ascii /etc/initramfs-tools/modules file.

I'm not sure exactly when those two modules become necessary (to add
to the modules file), but until they were added the only way I could
successfully get a working boot was via the rescue method using the
older Devuan Jessie USB stick which always worked.

This is the modinfo for these two extra modules:

# modinfo evdev
filename:       /lib/modules/4.9.0-9-amd64/kernel/drivers/input/evdev.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@???>
alias:          input:b*v*p*e*-e*k*r*a*m*l*s*f*w*
depends:
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.9.0-9-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions

# modinfo xhci_pci
filename:
/lib/modules/4.9.0-9-amd64/kernel/drivers/usb/host/xhci-pci.ko
license:        GPL
alias:          pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc0Csc03i30*
depends:        usbcore,xhci-hcd
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.9.0-9-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions

Kind Regards
AndrewM