:: Re: [DNG] reinstalling GRUB2
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] reinstalling GRUB2
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 20:25:42 +0100
Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:

> I see two other ways to make this easy, both of which have worked for
> me in the past :

This is great information. I have some questions...

> 1) use grub rescue cd (which you can put on a USB stick). Then fairly
> easy to sort out by picking the right menu options.

Do you mean:

* Super Grub2 Disk (https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/)
* boot-repair-disk (https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/)
* System Rescue CD (http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/)
* GrubEFIReinstall (https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall)
* Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/)

> 2) use these incantations, lifted from a post elsewhere :
>
> mkdir /sysroot
> mount /dev/your-root-dev /sysroot
> mount /dev/your-boot-dev /sysroot/boot
> mount --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
> mount --bind /sys /sysroot/sys
> mount --bind /proc /sysroot/proc
> mount --bind /run /sysroot/run (recommended if you are using systemd)
> chroot /sysroot
> grub-install /dev/your-grub-boot-device (may be grub2-install on some
> distro)

*Exactly* what do you mean by "your-grub-boot-device"? Does it vary
depending on MBR vs UEFI?

So now you've installed Grub(2), but then how do you configure grub?

Do your instructions vary depending on MBR vs UEFI?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist