:: Re: [DNG] EvilGnome spyware
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] EvilGnome spyware
On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 10:06:36PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting golinux@??? (golinux@???):
> > EvilGnome: A New Backdoor Implant Spies On Linux Desktop Users
> > https://thehackernews.com/2019/07/linux-gnome-spyware.html
>
> My view: The only _actually interesting question_ in any report about
> malware is how the code gets executed. The cited story says exactly
> zero about that -- leaving the natural suspicion that this codebase has
> no means of entry whatsoever

> Basically, this doesn't strike me as even a tiny bit interesting.

Aye, it all boils down to: you let a program run with your privileges, it
runs with your privileges. According automating some setup (wanted or not)
that you, or any other program you run with those privileges, can do.

I'd be concerned if Gnome did _not_ allow such malware.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ I've read an article about how lively happy music boosts
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ productivity. You can read it, too, you just need the