:: Re: [DNG] dns vs connection manager
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] dns vs connection manager
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 22:14:45 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 08:34:59PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> > Hi Hendrik,
> >
> > It isn't just conman: It's all these silly "we do it all for you"
> > networking helpers. I just do this:
> >
> > chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > Until Helpful Lennart decides his software should undo the +i or
> > throw a hissyfit about not being able to change it, everything's
> > cool.
>
> Does conman, the connection manager, originate from Helpful Lennart?
> I thought it was just something that came with lxqt.

No, not that I know of. What I was referring to is when systemd
integrates DNS, I'm sure Lennart will just undo any chattr +i. I say
this because he left the uefi partition read-write instead of
read-only, causing users of laptops with minor defects in their uefi to
brick their laptops by erasing or modifying the partition. People
begged Lennart to leave it read-only: He declined. More computers got
bricked.

Looking back at what I wrote, I can see how you thought I was implying
that Lennart made conman, but I was talking about future Poetterware.

> And doesn't the DNS IP number on a mobile device like a laptop
> normally come from the DHCP protocol?

Yes, and I think that's outdated. Today, you can do one of these two
things to guarantee you'll never need to change resolv.conf again:

1) Set resolv.conf to use two public DNS servers

2) Put a recursive resolver right on your computer. I use unbound.

#2 has the advantage that you can put an authoritative server on there
also, and then when you're at home or whatever you have DNS on your LAN
too.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist