:: Re: [DNG] dns vs connection manager
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] dns vs connection manager
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 11:31:31 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> This morning DNS wasn't working on my laptop, though it worked
> perfectly well on the server it wifi-ed to.
> After some pinging and checking connections, I found this on my
> laptop.
>
> The file /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> # Generated by Connection Manager
> nameserver ::1
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> Now why would the connection manager (conman) suddenly be setting my
> nameserver to localhost? A few days ago everything worked.
>
> Editing that file and replacing 127.0.0.1 by 8.8.8.8 and everything
> worked again. Until the next time the commection manager needs to
> connect, presumably.
>
> -- hendrik

Hi Hendrik,

It isn't just conman: It's all these silly "we do it all for you"
networking helpers. I just do this:

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

Until Helpful Lennart decides his software should undo the +i or throw
a hissyfit about not being able to change it, everything's cool.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist