:: Re: [DNG] Systemd depends on random…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Systemd depends on random numbers in order to work properly
fsmithred via Dng - 09.07.19, 12:49:
> On 7/9/19 5:07 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Martin Steigerwald - 09.07.19, 10:54:
> >> Just *booting* the system should not depend on enough entropy being
> >> available. Starting services that need entropy may be delayed, but
> >> just booting should not depend on entropy being available.
> >
> > This is enlightening:
> >
> > Openssh taking minutes to become available, booting takes half an
> > hour ... because your server waits for a few bytes of randomness
> >
> > https://daniel-lange.com/archives/152-hello-buster.html
> >
> > According Daniel Systemd developers are basically getting it wrong
> > the maximum extent possible.
>
> Live-isos with openssh-server hang on boot while waiting for enough
> entropy to make new host keys. I get this with sysvinit (in Devuan). I
> made a live-config script to start haveged before openssh-server
> starts to fix it.

I may run into this once I upgrade my cloud-init VM images for the Linux
trainings I hold.

So yes, it is not just something with Systemd, but still I believe
Systemd has no business to drain the entropy pool that early during boot
time. Especially given the challenge of having enough entropy during
boot anyway.

I am not sure whether Devuan Beowulf will have any sort of release
notes, but if, it may be helpful to mention that. Otherwise we can also
point to Debian release notes and say that for services, and just for
services, what is written there still applies.

Thanks,
--
Martin