:: Re: [DNG] Systemd depends on random…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Systemd depends on random numbers in order to work properly
On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 10:54:46 +0200
Martin Steigerwald <martin@???> wrote:

> Martin Steigerwald - 08.07.19, 17:35:
> > Just another reason I am happy to use sysvinit on my systems.
> >
> > unblock: systemd/241-4
> > https://bugs.debian.org/929215
> >
> > Booting system should not depend on random numbers to be available
> > in a large enough quantity.
> >
> > Granted there is a processor bug involved… but why rely on the
> > random number generator of CPUs anyway?
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#entropy-starvation

The preceding article mentions using haveged, which many consider
insecure. So for those times when *I* use systemd, I've created a
superior solution...

I loosely attach my mouse to my stationary bike in such a way that the
mouse's LED shines on the stationary bike's belt, building up entropy.
Within 10 seconds boot begins!

I've mentioned many times that although systemd holds out the promise
of fast boot, it takes someone with my skills to bring that fast boot
to fruition.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist