:: [DNG] Weird problem with every kern…
Author: Andrew McGlashan
To: Devuan DNG
Subject: [DNG] Weird problem with every kernel update
Hi,

Hardware NUC6i7KYK.

Every time I do a kernel upgrade (Devuan ASCII), rebooting loses USB
devices shortly after grub kicks in.

I have to boot a USB stick, which (Devuan Jessie Live), start a rescue
session and do all the following steps:

1. auto-detect RAID devices
2. enter a shell
3. unlock lvms LUKS encrypted volume (which has root and swap)
4. vgchange -ay
5. exit shell

Back to the rescue:
6. start root shell choosing root volume from lv (mounting /boot).
7. /bin/bash
8. update-initramfs -u -k all

Then, every single time I perform these steps, the NUC device will
continue to find USB properly until the next kernel update and I've
got to go through these specific steps again, every single time.

If I do the update and perform step 8 above before rebooting, I still
have a problem; I have to go via the USB live ISO to fix it.

There are external USB disks that are a mirror, when these don't come
up in the dropbear environment, then I know I have the problem.

So, attaching a USB keyboard, I can see it turn off (lights out) when
it gets past the grub stage of boot... so that's when I pull out the
USB live ISO from Devuan Jessie. It has happened for quite a while
now, but I know exactly how to fix it, but not why it is happening.

- --
Kind Regards
AndrewM