:: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid from scratc…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid from scratch
On Tuesday 11 June 2019 at 20:40:09, Steve Litt wrote:

> It's funny. So many times people advocate jumping through hoops to save
> a millisecond in a program operated by and therefore bottlenecked by a
> 100wpm typist. 100wpm is 500 keystrokes per minute,

If I may pick a nit, I think it makes the succeeding arithmetic slightly
simpler.

I believe 100wpm is 600 keystrokes per minute, because the "standard word" is
5 letters, but there's also a space between the words?

> or 8.33 keystrokes per second,

600 per minute is 10 per second - much neater :)

> which means each keystroke takes 120 milliseconds.

100ms...

> The 1ms savings *just doesn't matter*.

Agreed :)

> And yes, as a matter of fact, I often do use "useless use of cat".
> Costs me nothing perceptible, and makes it easier to rearrange
> pipelines til I get them right.

Antony.

--
It is also possible that putting the birds in a laboratory setting
inadvertently renders them relatively incompetent.

- Daniel C Dennett

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.