:: Re: [DNG] Where to reply for Steve …
Author: Bruce Ferrell
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Where to reply for Steve Litt
On 5/23/19 3:33 PM, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> On 5/23/19 6:21 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):
>>
>>> Hi all,
>> All:  OH HAI!
>>
>>> There's been some discussion about whom to reply to. I guess it's a
>>> personal preference, and my personal preference is described in the
>>> remainder of this email...
>>>
>>> If you want to reply to me, on-list, please reply to the list only.
>> You can ask, but it's mostly futile because most people's software
>> doesn't handle mailing lists intelligently.  Exceptions include mutt
>> (which I use) and emacs GNUS.  Both of those have a (configurable)
>> ability to do list-mode replying, in which the MUA trims out
>> non-mailing-list addresses, whenever the user does a group reply that
>> includes a mailing list address.  (I'm being a bit inexact.  The details
>> are IMO not worth detail-freaking to death.)
>>
> Shockingly enough Thunderbird isn't half bad.
>

> There are a lot of bad mail clients out there, though.

I started with Pegasus on Novell, much as that bugged me. I refused to pay for Eudora.

When Thunderbird came along, I never looked back and I have archives going back to 2001.

When I JUST hit reply, just now, it wanted to send to Daniel.

But I looked before I leapt, saw it was about to do exactly the opposite of what I wanted, so I fixed it.

And that my friends is the real solution... Not so much smarter tools, but just being a wee touch smarter our own selfs.

To paraphrase that ancient saying... To err is human. To really screw up, delegate it to a computer.  And then holler at people.