:: Re: [DNG] [ASCII] [Mutt+Torify+Fetc…
Author: Daniel Abrecht
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [ASCII] [Mutt+Torify+Fetchmail+Procmail+Msmtp] Problems torifying email
On 15/05/2019 06.31, Se7en wrote:
> The problem I have been having since November 2018 when I upgraded
> to ASCII was that I simply can not torify Fetchmail. I later
> discovered that Mutt is affected. The problem seems to be related
> to my mail spool, /var/mail/se7en.

Are you using torsocks to torify applications? I wouldn't recommend
that. Using iptables, it's possible to configure tor as a transparent
proxy. You can redirect network traffic using iptables over tor. That
can be just traffic from the local host, or even traffic from a whole
network. Using linux network namespaces, you can have different
independent internal network configurations on your machine. You can
then enter that namespace and execute an application there. To route
traffic between network namespaces, you can use virtual ethernet
interface pairs (veth). It is also possible to connect them using
bridges. Physical network interfaces can be moved to a different
network namespace as well. All this can be done using the "ip",
"brctl" and "iptables" commands. You can also use containers for this,
they usually use network namespacces too. I recommend torifying the
complete system if possible, or even better, a whole dedicated
network. If you keep the tor devices and the other devices completely
seperate, it becomes much harder to deanonymize you. Use one thing in
both environments, and you may have been deanonymized.

On another note, there are also a lot of online services that block
tor nodes, and i think some ports like smtp are blocked on pretty much
all exit nodes. It's fine for mailing between onion addresses, but not
for sending mails anywhere else from within tor.

Good luck,
Daniel Abrecht