:: Re: [DNG] [RFC] User services
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [RFC] User services
Didier Kryn - 13.05.19, 11:49:
> Le 13/05/2019 à 10:47, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
> > s@po, tuxd3v@??? - 11.05.19, 18:22:
> >> Hello All,

> > […]

> > […]
> >
> >> In the past Debian Wheezy had a tool for that, called 'chkconfig',
> >> it
> >> was a lot used in the Datacenter..
> >>
> >> # Adding a Service 'atsd':
> >>     chkconfig --add atsd;

> >> # Enable the service in several Runlevels:
> >>     chkconfig --level 12345 atss on;

> > AFAIK that is a tool coming from RHEL/CentOS/Fedora that was dropped
> > from Debian for some reason. It only works with system-wide services
> > as far as I am aware of.
> >
> >> And other funcionalities, like listing the services and so on..
> >> It was a very helpfull tool.
> >>
> >> In the absence of it( I don't know why it was removed .. ), your
> >> tool
> >> seems to come to replace it, BUT for users only? :)
> >
> > I do not know why it was removed.
> >
> > And yes, my approach is just for user services. I already thought
> > about making it a generic frontend for runit/s6, in order to also
> > allow it to handle system services, in order to allow
> > starting/stopping teamviewer services. But on one hand we have the
> > init system with its tools for that already and on the other how to
> > handle permissions would be something to be really clear about.
> >
> > Also I'd rather get rid of teamviewer than to provide support for
> > it. I use it very rarely for support cases from customer of my
> > employee.>
> >> I think it would be nice to call it like 'uservice', instead of
> >> 'u[ser]service[s]', which is a lot bigger name, or a alias called
> >> 'uservice', since 'service' is also another tool, to deal with..
> >> services.
> >
> > I bet I'd make that a symlink or so, so the tool could work as
> > either
> > 'uservice' or 'userservice'. 'uservice' also has 'user' and
> > 'service' in it. I also thought about just 'us' but Z-Shell would
> > like to correct that to 'su' and… those really short command names
> > are better reserved for commands that the likely user calls often,
> > such as 'cp', 'mv' and so on.
> >
> > Ciao,
>
>      Why not call it Userd ? It can compare with Systemd. It's made
> for the user, and user-friendly, and it does one thing, the thing it
> claims to do.

Nice idea.

But it is no daemon.

It uses a (kind of) daemon, runit as in 'runsvdir' or in the future
probably alternatively s6, but itself it is none.

It is just a script + alias (for now) that makes using runit for user
services easy for users.

But yeah, I think I like to keep it in a way that it does one thing
well, flexibly and efficiently.

--
Martin