:: Re: [DNG] Desktop integration [was …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Desktop integration [was logging uses of machine-id]
Le 14/03/2019 à 09:48, Rick Moen a écrit :
> Quoting KatolaZ (katolaz@???):
>
>> I just wonder whether your nice solution is enough for a wider
>> audience used to have things popping up around all the time. I guess
>> it's not, as much as setnet is not a solution to manage networks
>> palatable to a wider audience, as much as apt-get is not the tool used
>> by the large majority of users to install packages, and so on.
>>
>> Tinkerers will always be fine. But a distro that aims to be universal
>> like Devuan must also cater for those who are not willing to tinker
>> around, IMHO.
> I'm quoting the above in order to express appreciation for it -- in
> context. Like Steve Litt, I favour the smallest possible entanglement
> with Freedesktop.org 'desktop' components and their characteristic
> tangled dependency trees and difficult-to-justify complications,
> -=but=- the key fact is that Devuan Project has committed to be a
> universal operating system, construed as including DE-style software
> integration.
>
> I would not have supported that commitment, personally, but nonetheless
> can summon the wisdom to avoid expecting this project to abandon its
> principles just because I don't share some of them. And I thank you for
> aptly restating those principles.

    Let me also agree with both of you. When I rant against Dbus, gvfs
and watever entanglement, it's not to express the will that Devuan tries
to eradicate them. It's just to tell that *I* aim to eradicate them from
*my own desktop*, while retaining some mouse-click operability because
not everybody at home is able to work from the command line. I try to
preserve a good and easy "DE experience" with as less entanglement as
possible.

    When I say I think people sharing the same will as me have a good
chance to be on this list, I do not mean to include all the members of
the list.

    I apreciate very much Devuan as it is and I apreciate that the new
eudev allows to eradicate libsystemd0, even if libsystemd0 has been
harmless up to now. I like the idea of not having to read/write this
word anymore :~)

        Didier