:: Re: [DNG] dbus [was: Re: logging us…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] dbus [was: Re: logging uses of machine-id]
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 01:41:44PM +0100, aitor_czr wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> On 12/3/19 13:35, Antony Stone wrote:
> > If that's a serious comment, what is evil/wrong with (lib)dbus?
>
> One of the premises of the devuan project was (i thought): no more wraps,
> please.

I would agree wholeheartedly, aitor, and would definitely be in favour
of removing from Devuan whetever piece of software uses an unneeded
"wrap". This would include most of GNOME and GTK applications, most of
KDE and Qt-related stuff, most of the browsers, most of the desktop
goodies, the whole concept of session management, and much much
more. This will result in a pretty lean distro, indeed.

Only, I doubt that many in this list and outside would like the
resulting "distribution" at all. I have seen endless discussions here
and in the forum about the borders of windows in the standard ASCII
theme having "the wrong thickness", and endless rants about "gksu not
being available any more! oh my gosh how could we survive?!?".

I have already been living without most of that "wrap stuff" for many
years, but I have the impression that most users would not like to
cope with the kind of "desktop experience" --so to speak-- that would
result from such a massive removal and purification.

Nevertheless, the simple removal of anything that has an unneded
"wrap" would definitely make the effort of Devuan development much
easier, although probably almost pointless.

The other possibility is to patch any software that requires
dbus/CORBA/DCOP and any other "wrap", by providing an alternative
(probably, just yet-another-system-bus), testing the patches, and
maintaining them. In order to do that we need people able to
concretely help and do things and make their hands dirty with actual
coding. We need hackers. We need soldiers. Generals and philosophers
who perfectly know what to do but disappear as soon as "The Right
Thing (TM)" needs to be done are close to useless for that quest.

"This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You
take the blue pill--the story ends, you wake up in your bed and
believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill--you stay
in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

My2Cents

KatolaZ