:: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-i…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-id
Le 11/03/2019 à 19:33, KatolaZ a écrit :
> guys, anything using dbus will most probably (indirectly) access
> /var/lib/dbus/machine-id at some point in time, since that file is
> read when attempting to send a message via dbus.

    It's most certainly as simple as that.

    The question is why the hell do a web browser need to attach to
Dbus? This question is pure rant because I won't be satisfied by any answer.

    On the strategy: as long all Debian installs have the same
machine-id, the number is /unique/, but in the sense that it is the
/same for all/, which fits well with its /useless/ nature and which is
the best for anonymity.

    If a host changes its machine-id all the time, first it becomes
volatile but /unique/ in the sense that /nobody has the same/, second,
this behaviour will be detected and might tag the host as Dbus-hostile.
It may also cause a disfunctionning in Dbus, which I don't know if it is
a good thing or not.

        Didier