:: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard": /etc/machine-id
On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 10:25:39 -0600
golinux@??? wrote:

> I certainly did not write that! (I'm not even sure what inotify
> is!) LOL!
>
> golinux

inotify is a Linux specific kernel API that detects changes in the
filesystem. It can be set to discover changes in a specific directory,
or even a specific file. Remember when Poettering tearfully proclaimed
that systemd was the only way to "hot mount" stuff like thumb drives?
On hearing that, I and another guy on this list took a couple hours and
made an inotify based shellscript to auto-mount thumb drives as they're
plugged in. It wasn't popular here because most Devuaners don't like
the idea of automount: They prefer such mounting be opt-in.

But we sure did refute Poettering.

SteveT