:: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard": /etc/machine-id
Jaromil - 10.03.19, 14:03:
> > > but first things first: do we want /etc/machine-id? and how?
> >
> > In my view it falls in the completely unnessesary or the potentially
> > dangerous group.
> >
> > I don't want it.
>
> while I'm still catching up with reading all the thread, I think you
> make a concise and straight to the point argument with which I
> wholeheartedly agree. Thanks, to you and all others providing insights
> on this issue.
>
> I also don't want it and I think having such a machine-id is not just
> a technical, but also a political decision, as you pointed out.
>
> for the record, my /etc/machine-id follows:
>
> "d34dc0d3d34dc0d3d34dc0d3d34dc0d3"

I felt uneasy about the machine-id several times as well. It remembers
me of the IMEI of mobile devices.

After browsing through thread and internet references I am still not
clear what it is used for. Every privacy policy in EU needs to state
that purpose, especially for uniquely identifying data.

It never came to my conclusion that I can just change the id. Now did.

Probably would be good for a lot of people setting it to the same value
:). As when everyone comes up with an own machine id chances are that it
is still unique. Another way would be to randomize it on every boot or
every few hours.

Thanks,
--
Martin