:: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard…
Author: al3xu5 / dotcommon
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard": /etc/machine-id
Il giorno sabato 09/03/2019 10:54:08 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> ha scritto:

> On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 09:05:20AM +0100, marc wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> > [cut]
>
> [cut]
>
> In any case, there are dozens of ways to identify a host and a user
> with very good accuracy, even across reboots and even when it travels
> through different locations, [...]

sure

> [...] so the cure is to make sure that no
> unwanted usage of this information is made by the software you
> run.
> And the only guarantee for that is that the code is free and open
> source.

uhm... unfortunately I would not be so sure about this ...

first, because we commonly call "free and open" even programs (and libraries)
that are not, and this because "free and open" refers to the license, and the
license does not guarantee anything compared to many "social" aspects such as
privacy example (an example: the vanilla kernel, which is GPL2, is stuffed with
binary blobs ... another example: the LGPL libraries, which can be used
together with malicious code); and it does not even guarantee anything about
the hardware it runs on ...

second, because even if the code "free and open" is inspectable, then it must
be done and, in this case for example, that it is also done with respect to
privacy ... and I do not think that always happens ...

regards

--
al3xu5 / dotcommon
Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.