:: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard": /etc/machine-id

Il 09/03/19 11:16, marc ha scritto:
>> Mark, I think you are probably shooting the wrong bird here. Host ids
>> have been around for the best part of the last 40 years in the unix
>> world. And I am not talking about proprietary unix. The syscalls
>> gethostid/sethostid were introduced in 4.2BSD (ca. 1983), at Berkeley,
>> and are supposed to support unique host ids across all the unix
>> installations. The gethostid syscall was even standardised in POSIX.
> So you are correct that gethostid has been around for a while,
> but this call returns a 32bit number, typically the IP.

  No, it returns a value that's unique to the local machine even if it
was not configured on any network.  Plus, the IP can change, but the
hostid is supposed to be static.  The Unix hostid was developed in order
to uniquely identify a machine regardless of where in the Internet it
is.  What you described is the gethostbyname syscall.

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???