:: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard…
Author: Stefan Krusche
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard": /etc/machine-id
Am Freitag, 8. März 2019 schrieb KatolaZ:
> On the other hand, it looks like /etc/machine-id mighr come from
> Debian installations "converted" to Devuan, but we should check
> whether any of the installer components might have put it there. We
> should collect as many reports as possible of things that won't work
> if /etc/machine-id does not exist.
>
> Anybody willing to help with this: if your Devuan installation has a
> file /etc/machine-id, could you please move/remove it and report any
> application complaining about that, including the version of Devuan
> you are using?

On my Devuan/ascii machine which I installed May/June 2018 it looks like
this:

$ ll /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33 2018.05.31 23:45.19 /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
$ ll /etc/machine-id
ls: cannot access '/etc/machine-id': No such file or directory

That was a new install and /etc/machine-id apparently wasn't created,
while /var/lib/dbus/machine-id was created at installation time and
stayed there like that.

I believe but am not 100% sure that I used
devuan_ascii_2.0.0-rc_amd64_netinst.iso from May 2018, at least this
file has a time stamp from that time.

HTH

Kind regards,
Stefan