:: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard…
Author: karl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard": /etc/machine-id
Rowland:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 11:44:49 -0600
> "Jamey Fletcher" <jamey@???> wrote:

> > I have it here on my Gentoo install - and /var/lib/dbus/machine-id is
> > a symlink to it. It's basically the same length as a MD5SUM - why
> > not just standardize on the MD5SUM of an empty 0-byte file (
> > d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e ) and tell them to take a running
> > leap from the ISS?
>
> Now that's an idea, if they are tracking us, one ID will appear to be
> everywhere at once, that should confuse them ;-)

No, it tells "them" that you are using e.g. Devuan, and that you are
concerned about it for some reason.
Depending about how many who is doing so, you might be singled out.

If it is for tracking, best is to not to have the infrastructure for
this at all, i.e. bug programs that wants it and tell distributions to
stop using it.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar