:: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: KatolaZ
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard": /etc/machine-id
On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 03:00:31PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > Yes, elogind uses it. But I got upstream to take a patch which uses
> > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id as an alternative to /etc/machine-id.
> >

> and, IIRC, also /var/lib/dbus/machine-id is re-generated at boot
> time. But we need to double-check.

Yes, but only if it is missing, so eg if /var/ is tmpfs or you arrange to clear
it.

/var/lib/dbus/machine-id is generated by a dbus-uuidgen(1) call in the dbus
initscript. This doesn't overwrite an existing file so that the machine-id is
not changed during a single uptime.

Certainly elogind has no requirement for /etc/machine-id to be present or
consistent between boots.

Mark