:: [DNG] bootlogd: /var/log/boot does …
Author: Stefan Krusche
To: [DNG]
Subject: [DNG] bootlogd: /var/log/boot does not get rotated
Good day everyone,

the file /var/log/boot on my system has now grown up to more than 1.2MB.
It never got rotated since I installed this system (~ June 2018).

I looked into /etc/init.d/bootlogd and there's apparently some code to
rotate /var/log/boot under the "stop)" clause of the "case $ACTION"
construct which does a check first (line 66):

    if [ -f /var/log/boot ] && [ -f /var/log/boot~ ]
    then
[…]

after which the code follows which is supposed to rotate /var/log/boot
IIUC.

/var/log/boot~ doesn't exist. It obviously never had been created and
therefore /var/log/boot isn't rotated, I think.

I assume this to be a bug, but as I'm not familiar with the
particularities of init scripts, I'd like to ask for your opinions
about that issue here.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Package: bootlogd
Version: 2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2
Severity: wishlist

-- System Information:
Distributor ID: Devuan
Release:        2.0
Codename:       ascii

Architecture: x86_64

Kernel: Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: sysvinit (via /sbin/init)

Versions of packages bootlogd depends on:
ii  libc6     2.24-11+deb9u4
ii  lsb-base  4.1+devuan2