:: Re: [maemo-leste] clutter and hildo…
Author: Ivaylo Dimitrov
To: Merlijn Wajer
CC: Arthur D., maemo-leste
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] clutter and hildon-desktop
Hi,

On 27.02.19 г. 0:22 ч., Merlijn Wajer wrote:
> Hi freemangordon,
>
> You're not on IRC atm, so email might work better :p. Spinal figured out
> how we can work around some of the driver buggyness in powervr.

Thats great.

> Specifically, with older hildon-desktop and clutter 0.8, he doesn't get
> any of the hangs or slowness that we're seeing. He thinks that this is
> likely because of one of these patches to clutter 0.8:
> https://github.com/spinal84/clutter-0.8/tree/blit/debian/patches

Could be, afaik Nokia did lots of work trying to squeeze the last bit of
performance from powervr

> We don't want to use old hildon-desktop, since there have been lots of
> improvements to the maemo leste one. So I'm wondering what the next
> sensible step would be. Should be try to build "modern" hildon-desktop
> from maemo leste with clutter 0.8 and see if that also works? (And if it
> does, see how we can fix clutter 1.0/1.2 to work well with PowerVR?)

There are tools from ImgTek(TI?) that can help a lot to see what is the
real bottleneck with clutter 1.x. When I ported to clutter 1.x my goal
was to have h-d working at all, leaving the performance aside. So the
thing we should do is to capture a couple of apitrace (and pvrtrace)
logs from both 0.8 and 1.x, compare and then fix h-d or clutter 1.x to
be in par with 0.8 in terms of performance. It could be that shaders I
wrote are suboptimal, or... dunno, I was focused on functionality, not
performance.

> I went over the hildon-desktop commit logs, and from the log messages
> there seemed to be only one (not too large) commit that mentions moving
> to clutter 1.0 instead of 0.8, do you think it'd be a lot of work to
> make it work with clutter 0.8?

Yes, it will be and to be honest, I have strong opinion against doing
that. We should fix h-d (or clutter 1.x) and move forward instead of
going back.

Regards,

Ivo