:: [DNG] When programs take many secon…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] When programs take many seconds to start
Hi all,

Another thread spoke of 10+ seconds for sshd to spin up, and several
pointed to DNS. Back around the turn of the century I used to have
these problems, at bootup, frequently. I finally found out that this
happens when reverse DNS doesn't work.

Nowadays, if I have long startup, the first thing I do make sure all my
forward DNS, especially for localhost and my computer's hostname vs ip
address.

I always make sure my boot doesn't throw up a splash screen, so that if
nfsd takes 20 seconds to start, I know it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust