:: Re: [DNG] nvidia driver?
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] nvidia driver?
On Thursday 31 January 2019 at 15:49:25, hal wrote:

> On 1/31/19 8:44 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
> > What happens if you try following that info? Do you run into some
> > problem when the machine turns out to be running Devuan and not Debian?
>
> Yeah, my concern is that adding the Stretch "non-free" will pull in a
> bunch of dependencies for X (lord knows what else).

a) try using "aptitude install -R ...." to avoid getting "recommended"
packages along with what you really want.

b) make sure you pin systemd not to install on your machine (not needed for
Devuan, of course, but could be useful if you start mixing):

/etc/apt/preferences.d/nosystemd

Package: systemd
Pin: release *
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: *systemd*
Pin: release *
Pin-Priority: -1

> Guess I can try it and see.

Just take a good look at what it wants to install before saying "yes" :)

> I usually resort to installing the download driver anyway and
> re-compiling on every kernel update. It's just a pain.

Understood.

Antony.

--
"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

- Bill Gates

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.