:: Re: [DNG] Is NetworkManager suppose…
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Is NetworkManager supposed to work?
Simon Walter <simon@???> wrote:

> Maybe there is some kind of conflict with another package. I have no DNS resolution. I do not have the full dnsmasq package installed - just the dnsmasq-base.

I think you need to take a step back and diagnose this logically. You need to start with the basics, and work up. "no DNS resolution" could range from "no physical network connection" at the lowest level up to "dns resolver is broken" at the top level ! If something low down doesn't work, then you need to stop and fix that before going further.

First, describe your setup : Is it wired or wireless, do you have a router that's connected to the internet and doing NAT etc, or are you connecting directly, or ... ?

Is using Wireless, are you getting a connection to the network ? If wired, is the link up ? (IIRC ip link show)

Do you get an IP address ? (ip addr show)

Do you have routing ? (ip route show - should see a default route via the router address)

Can packets get out at all ? (traceroute 8.8.8.8 - does it reach 8.8.8.8 or stop short)

Is a resolver configured ? (cat /etc/resolv.conf)

Does it work ? (dig google.com)
Does resolution work with an outside resolveer ? (dig @ 8.8.8.8 google.com)
May need to install the dig (domain internet groper) package.