:: Re: [DNG] SOLVED: slashes in FAT fi…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] SOLVED: slashes in FAT file names
On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 10:04:19PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 01:10:04PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >
> > Well, it *was* 32G. That takes a while just to read *once*.
>
> Hint: in almost any rescue operation, the recommended first step is to dd
> the whole disk to another place -- doubly so if the source is so small.

I did that. Still slow.

> Even if you're on just a shit SATA SSD, reading at 500MB/s is a wee bit
> nicer than at 4MB/s -- usually you need to read more than once.

Agreed. And that program did seem to read it more than once. Mayne it
would have done better with a different file type, but I had to look
for the files that were probably there, not others.

> And then, you can snapshot, repair, etc, the image to your heart content
> without a risk of breaking things further.

The hex editor I did use directly no the original disk. And it worked.
I figured that if something really weird happened as a result of the
rather innocuous-looking changes I was making I could always copy it
back from the 32G copy I had on my SSD.

-- hendrik