:: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks …
Author: g4sra
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks of the Devuan Installer

> I still fail understanding what you mean by "Program 2". It's called,
> maybe, just "apt-get" or "synaptic".

OK, um..
take tasksel, clone it into two.

In tasksel one [1], keep everything that is NOT optional (and is stateful).
Partitioning, formatting, kernel, bootloader, package manager of choice.

In tasksel two [2], keep everything that is optional and changeable (and is stateless).

[1] is run once from installation media (USB, cdrom, bootp, ...)
gives you a bare minimum bloatless base install
Has low maintenance and developer demand once
created as it will barely need to change over time.

[2] can be run at any time from the built system
to change timezone, country, etc

There *are* issues that need to be handled, such as
language selection, which *may* need to be
in [1] and [2] (because apt depends on LANG= in cases)

This is how we solve the issue of :
VUA's wanting a basic no-bloat install that they can control.
Newbies that cannot\dontwant use the command line.
And every type of user in-between.
Not needing to maintain multiple installation media images.

You now maintain fewer smaller simpler easier to test media images.
And one second stage installer.

No Debian (Devuan) does not have this, I want it,
I am prepared to have a crack at hacking [1] even
though I am not a developer or programmer, providing
there is interest and others willing to contribute
testing, input of ideas etc. when I get stuck.