:: Re: [DNG] allegedly open wifi
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] allegedly open wifi
Quoting Hendrik Boom (hendrik@???):

> I've started to see a few public wifi sites that actually don't require
> you to log in with a browser. They let you enter a password as a part
> of the normal, official protocol for talking to the access point.
>
> The rest are a problem with the increasing paranoia of browsers against
> sites usurping a connection, which is of course what the rest do.
>
> I've noticed that, as long as I'm using devuan on my laptop, I can open
> the NetSurf browser and it will let my connection get usurped so I can
> enter the password and connect.
>
> But on my android talet I'm stuck. Firefox and Chrome are both too
> paranoid ...
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this stupid protocol
> violation by mnearly all the public wifi sites in the world?

If I understand your question correctly, you're talking about 'captive
portal' setups where a custom Web browser & DNS nameserver initially
directs Web browser requests to a site requiring sign-in & consent to
terms of service, and that the problem is that major Web browsers'
antiforgery features are refusing the redirect because they detect that
you won't be going to the real https://gmail.com/ or whatever.

If that's the problem, you can get around it and amuse yourself at the
same time by requesting a symantically valid but non-existent URL like
http://captive-portals.suck/ .