:: Re: [DNG] ifstat.eth0 on Boot
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ifstat.eth0 on Boot
Hi Didier,

Didier Kryn writes:

> Le 07/12/2018 à 12:45, Michael K. a écrit:
>>
>> After a Dev1 Setup on a Laptop (whit eth0), i have to wait a long time
>> for the eth0 on "cold boot".
>
> There is a long-lasting bug in the networking init file
> (/etc/init.d/networking), introduced by Debian for Systemd
> compatibility. It shows up and delays init when you have an ethernet
> interface which isn't connected. I suggest you apply the attached patch
> to this file. In addition, you should probably modify your interfaces
> file so as to contain both 'auto eth0' and 'allow-hotplug eth0' - don't
> ask me why, I don't know, but it works.

This reminded me. My etckeeper logs show the same diff and mention that
this reverts a "fix" introduced in 0.8.14 to address "bugs". According
to my commit message, the upstream log says

    * Ignore link state when bringing up hotplug interfaces at boot.
      Closes: #814785, #834820

As for the 'auto eth0' and 'allow-hotplug eth0', I get by with only the
latter but I still have to integrate my wireless setup. I got into a
habit of doing 'Ctrl-R wlan0' in a terminal and executing the command
that finds ... :-/

Hope this helps,