:: [DNG] Fw: Request for comments - t…
Author: Tim Wallace
To: Dng
Subject: [DNG] Fw: Request for comments - training room

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Tim Wallace <tp_wallace@???>To: Steve Litt <slitt@???>Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 7:13:06 PM ESTSubject: Re: [DNG] Request for comments - training room
This thread reminds me of the reason I haven't been able to switch from Debian to Devuan on my server: LTSP support.  LTSP is a great way to run an X server on an older machine, with all the authentication handled by the server.  Haven't seen anyone mention it, perhaps because although it's in the repository, it doesn't work.  The build_client script fails, using the generic system option.  LTSP shouldn't be that hard to get working in Devuan, since it's worked for years with many various systems, pre systemd.  Thinking of filing a bug, but thought I'd mention this here.
I got my dad's machine and my laptop on Devuan, but stymied by LTSP on the server...
--Tim

    On Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 2:06:17 PM EST, Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 13:42:36 +0000
Rowland Penny <rpenny@???> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 13:22:40 +0000
> g4sra <g4sra@???> wrote:

> > Interestingly little mention of workstation BOOTP, NFS Root, Cloning
> > On Boot. Manually applying CCR's in each training room of 28+
> > workstations is going to be a pita. No one mentioned the likes of
> > Puppet, Ansible, ClusterSSH etc.
> >

> This is probably down to the very little information you provided, I
> also have no idea what 'Creedence Clearwater Revival' has to do with
> anything we are discussing ;-)

I can answer that. We all figure that someday people won't spout
uncommon and unagreed upon acronyms. But someday never comes.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21