:: [DNG] systemd killed the NIS star […
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] systemd killed the NIS star [was: Re: Request for comments -training room]
On 03/12/18 at 14:51, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> On 12/3/18 5:22 AM, g4sra wrote:
>> >From my perspective, this topic has had some very interesting
>> contributions. Thank you all whom have contributed.
>>
>> To pick out just one as an example, I had considered NIS\YP to be (or
>> rather didn't consider because) all but defunct, and not taken it's
>> simplicity and reliability over other methods into consideration.
>
> NIS/YP is especially interesting for me as something long unused.

  Sorry to bring you these sorry news, people, but Dr. Nikolaus Klepp is
right: NIS really has kicked the bucket:

https://tracker.debian.org/news/1001786/nis-removed-from-testing/

nis REMOVED from testing

        News for package nis <https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/nis>

  * *From*: Debian testing watch <noreply@???>
    <mailto:noreply@release.debian.org>
  * *To*: <nis@???> <mailto:nis@packages.debian.org>
  * *Date*: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 04:39:20 +0000
  * *Subject*: nis REMOVED from testing

FYI: The status of the nis source package
in Debian's testing distribution has changed.

  Previous version: 3.17.1-3
  Current version:  (not in testing)
  Hint: <https://release.debian.org/britney/hints/auto-removals>
    Bug #834298: nis: Can't ypbind