:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 03:00:40AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Didier Kryn (kryn@???):
>
> > For what concerns, laptops, I think we are in the era of ssd
> > and, unfortunately, there is usually only one disk drive per laptop,
> > except of older ones where the cdrom drive can be replaced by a
> > disk.
>
> Yes, and this is in my opinion a very regrettable omission from the market.
> Many laptop enclosures have adequate physical space for a pair of
> equal-sized SSDs. If they would only please leave an empty bay for a
> second device and unused power and data connectors, I would be happy
> with the option of RAID1-mirroring the entire system.

Interesting. One option would even be RAID-1 mirroring between an SSD
and a disk drive. Save money by avoiding a second large SSD. Writes
would be slow, but reads would often be served fast from the SSD.
Useful when reads are much more common that writes. If one of the
drives fails, your data are still safe, though your system may slow
down or not depending on which drive failed.

> Worse, some lovely small systems like the Zotac ZBOX C-series, likes
> this one as a current example
> (https://store.zotac.com/zbox-ci325-nano-with-windows-10-zbox-ci325nano-u-w2b),
> would make great little silent home servers, except that they support
> only one 63.5 mm (2.5") SSD plus one SSD in the M.2 slot. Grr, so
> close, and yet so far.

My Purism system has the wiring and space for an extra SSD.
Interesting prospect.

-- hendrik