:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Le 28/11/2018 à 08:11, Rick Moen a écrit :
> If I were relying on NFS during early boot, I'd file a bug against package
> nfs-common, and also, meanwhile, compile a local-package substitute with
> either static binaries or ones linked to libs in /lib (and provide those).

    Debian supports diskless hosts mounting an NFS filesystem on /.

    Until the invention of initrd/initramfs, one could use an option of
the kernel, which allows to link all the NFS client logic statically in
the kernel and to pass the mount command arguments through the kernel
command line.

    When using initrd/initramfs, this kernel option is no longer
necessary and I guess it is just simpler to rely on the modules provided
by nfs-common. The motivation is the same as for device drivers and
filesystems: boot a generic kernel, have all modules available during
early boot to mount / (and /usr).

        Didier