:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 11:24:05PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> On 22/11/18 at 19:21, Roger Leigh wrote:

> >>    No, you definitely have not followed it.  In fact you are
> >> disregarding
> >> all the points that were expressed against the merge.
> >
> > Let me begin by stating that I found your reply (and others) to be
> > rude, unnecessarily aggressive, and lacking in well-reasoned objective
> > argument.
>

>   Oh poor show flake, did I hurt your tender feelings when I state facts?

Alessandro, you are not funny at all. Roger is one of the DDs who
stood the systemd avalanche in Debian, and the first one to publicly
support Devuan (please read https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/ to see
what I mean).

Roger took the time and effort to provide a first-hand explanation
about the whats and whys behind early boot incantations. And his
insight in this respect is precious and fundamental. I appreciate that
not everybody might be interested in these details, but this thread is
*exactly* about that, not about your own personal experience with this
or that setup.

On a related point: no, Alessandro, Devuan is not a Desktop-oriented
distribution. Devuan strives to remain as a universal operating system
as Debian claims to be. Devuan is currently used in a mutlitude of
environments that include server farms, corporate and personal
servers, embedded systems, personal devices, and desktops. So any
choice Devuan will make has to take into account *all* the different
uses of Devuan.

We are going to provide the users with the choice of having or not
having a merged-usr. This serves best the purpose of Devuan, and its
commitment to guarantee as much freedom as possible to the people who
decide to use Devuan. Those who think Devuan is not fit for their
purpose have still the freedom to either contribute to Devuan and make
it "better" (for whatever definition of "better") or to choose among a
variety of other distributions.

HND

KatolaZ