:: Re: [DNG] Devuan Jessie + Huawei US…
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan Jessie + Huawei USB modems
On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 03:10:15PM +0100, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

> What is needed to install so that Devuan Jessie recognizes Huawei modems:
>
> - Huawei Mobile Connect - 3G modem (Wintendo sees it as such)
> - Huawei USB modem E3372 4G
> - Huawei Mobile Wifi router E5573C 4G

I used to use a couple of dongle/modems. I used "raw" chat scripts.

As I recall, the dongles were recognised and connected by the kernal via
/dev/ttyUSBn, with n = 0,1,2,3,...
Or maybe the other /dev/??? name for a serial usb device: I forget for
the moment. Perhaps I had to load a module explicity, but I don't
think so.

The horrible Modem Manager sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. I
hated it because it was a complex black box that I couldn't easily
debug when it failed. It did (does?) have an associated database of
network operators and their various connection protocols/passwords.
Checking that database might be useful for information in writing chat
scripts.

Above was on Debian. I imagine that your dongles are more recent: maybe
quite different.

I wrote some notes on getting a huwai dongle going, but I don't have
them to hand just now. I think that most of the information was on line.

ael