:: Re: [DNG] yet another case of silly…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] yet another case of silly Lennartism :p [Fwd: Our buildsystem may be broken: /bin vs /usr/bin]
On 21/11/18 at 18:39, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 18:25:02 +0100
> Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???> wrote:

>>> I can't be sure if you are in jest.
>>
>>    Of course I am not.
>>
>>   Dr. Nikolaus Klepp asked:
>>

>> From: "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <dr.klepp@???>
>> To: dng@???
>> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 17:22:00 +0100
>>

>> Why would anybody hardcode the link to sed in the first place? Isn't
>> that what $PATH is all about?
>>

>>    And I answered with a case where the absolute placement of the sed
>> executable does matter and cannot be circumvented with a PATH setting
>> or the use of commands like which or command.

>> What is not clear?
>>

> You got the context wrong, or as we say here in the UK, you got the
> wrong end of the stick ;-)
>
> He asked 'Why would anybody hardcode the link', what has this to do with
> a shebang ?

  A shebang is an often used construct that would be broken were not a
link in place.

  Do you need a drawing to see why?

> You are quite correct, you cannot replace a shebang with 'which', but
> then, this was never the problem.

  Yes, it is.  Because shebangs do require a link from /usr/bin to /bin
were files moved from /bin to /usr/bin.

> Did you read the debian bugreport ?

  Yes, I did.

  Now you, how would you have a #!/bin/Rscript script work without a
filesystem-level link?

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???