:: Re: [DNG] yet another case of silly…
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] yet another case of silly Lennartism :p [Fwd: Our build system may be broken: /bin vs /usr/bin]
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 17:43:12 +0100
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???> wrote:

> On 21/11/18 at 17:37, Rowland Penny wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 17:28:40 +0100
> > Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???> wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >>   It's necessary to keep script shebangs from breaking.
> >>
> > No it isn't, ever heard of 'which' or 'type' or checking if the file
> > actually exists.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

>   Of course it is.  If you have a file with a shebang like this:
>

> #!/bin/sed
>
> , which is the norm, see:
>
> https://github.com/uuner/sedtris/blob/master/sedtris.sed
>
> , then you'd be in trouble if sed moved in /usr/bin.

Well it would if you were trying to run sed directly, but in this case
it is setting the path to sed as a variable, so, if the script
'/usr/bin/R' used something like this:

SED="$(which sed)"
if [ -z "$SED" ]; then
    echo 'sed is not installed'
    exit 1
fi
export SED

instead of:
SED=/bin/sed
export SED

We wouldn't be having this conversation.

>   Of course you know you can't use commands or shell constructs in
> place of the shebang, you did shell_scripting-101, didn't you?

We are not talking about the shebang, you did know that, didn't you ?

Rowland