:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Quoting KatolaZ (katolaz@???):

> you could have noticed that in essence Roger pointed to the merged-usr
> solution as not only impractical, but also risky and of doubtful
> usefulness.

Noted without comment:

Modern disk sizes make partitioning a separate /usr
unnecessary and undesirable. (Both are of course
/possible/, but there is precious little to gain by doing so.)

Oh, on reconsideration, I'll comment (on that snippet as representative
of the whole), but will then wish to move on.

I posted upthread a real-world example of a server partitioning
scheme that used separate /usr to good effect on multiple grounds,
including (1) grouping filesystems for minimum average HD seeks,
(2) distinct mount options per filesystem (e.g., nodev and read-only
for /usr) to reduce potential for adminstrative and software mishap,
and (3) bespoke filesystem options to eliminate unjustiable overhead
(e.g., no journaling on /usr, in light of it normally being mounted
read-only).

It's vexing to be told that server best practices are unnecessary,
undesirable, and gain little (and other places as 'not really doing
more than adding extra unnecessary complexity' and that 'none of it
actually matters') by someone who seems not to have grasped the issues.
But I didn't volunteer to argue.

The whole extremely long and tendentious piece is... marbled with such
things, and I really have better things to do than to spend an hour
dissecting such material. I'd rather say 'Have a great day' and move
on.

> It seems to go in pretty much the same direction as you,
> with a technical and thorough explanation around :)

It seems to me that: No and no.

Oh well. You have a great day, as well.