:: Re: [DNG] yet another case of silly…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] yet another case of silly Lennartism :p [Fwd: Our build system may be broken: /bin vs /usr/bin]
On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 05:19:03PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:

> just for your amusement ...

They have already started making busy-work for us.

> Sorry for the alarming headline but #913982 was filed, indepedently
> corrobated and simultaneously discovered by upstream.
>
> GNU R has long been relying on sed, tar, bzip2, ... and many more base
> tools. No issues there. Generally looked for in /bin and found there.
>
> Starting with binary rebuild r-base_3.5.1-1+b2 however, /usr/bin/* path
> crept
> in while the binaries where still in the wrong place. It looked like a
> one-off so I uploaded 3.5.1-2 which built fine for me on amd64 ...but
> apparently is already borked again on i386.

I read the discussion at
https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1642443.html
and it looks as if they fixed the discrepancy at version 3.5.1-2.
Which means if we want to keep sed in /bin instead of /usr/bin we may
have to patch both packages sed and r-base.

Or maybe add a symblic link to make sed accessible from /usr/bin instead
of just /bin.

-- hendrik