:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 12:17:21PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> 1) A separate /usr serves no practical purpose on a Debian/Devuan system
>
>    Historically, /usr was separately mountable, shareable over NFS. With a
> package manager like dpkg, / and /usr are an integrated, managed whole.
> Sharing over NFS is not practical since the managed files span both parts,
> and you can't split the package database between separate systems.  Modern
> disk sizes make partitioning a separate /usr unnecessary and undesirable.
> (Both are of course /possible/, but there is precious little to gain by
> doing so.)

Actually, even on non-modern disk sizes that split isn't good. A decade
ago, on N700/N800/N900 Nokia had a tiny boot $DISK and another 64GB in size
but noticeably slower. It turned out that / vs /usr is no good for them,
and they instead opted for most non-essential binaries on a separate
partition on the 64GB eMMC. Both / and /usr were on the small disk with
most programs symlinked to the filesystem on /opt .

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ I've read an article about how lively happy music boosts
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ productivity. You can read it, too, you just need the