:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 12:22:18AM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>   I'm well aware of the present limitations that make it impossible to
> let Devuan be an indipendent distribution: too little manpower behind it
> and too llittle corporate/VC support for it.  It could well be that
> Devuan will never be anything more than a systemd-less-Debian, always
> behind it's parent distribution and always trying to catch up to their
> design implementations.  Of course I wouldn't call this success.

I think that instead of making Devuan independent, we should strive to kill
it. Just not in the way Lennart wants.

By keeping all unbelievers to a ghetto, systemd proponents make way for an
excuse for putting Debian even deeper into the systemd land. Thus, widening
the gap is IMHO the worst thing you can do.

Instead, any package diff from Debian should be considered a problem to be
fixed. Any patches, instead of removing systemd support, should make things
work both with systemd and modular init/rc systems. And be upstreamed as
soon as possible.

And once Devuan differs only by some graphics and the default state of a
checkbox in the installer, I'd call the mission accomplished. But today,
there's even no checkbox in the installer...

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ .globl _start↵.data↵rc: .ascii "/etc/init.d/rcS\0"↵.text↵_start
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ mov $57,%rax↵syscall↵cmp $0,%rax↵jne child↵parent:↵mov $61,%rax