:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 03:20:15AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 21:10:54 +0100
> Irrwahn <irrwahn@???> wrote:
>

> > The part about "acquire, monopolize and decompatablize the tools to
> > create initramfs" is ridiculous,
>
> The preceding half sentence encapsulates the belief difference that
> causes our different stances on merging /sbin with anything else. PRF
> (Poettering/Redhat/Freedesktop) has developers paid probably in excess
> of a million dollars a year to [work on | obfuscate] Linux, whereas
> guys like us must undo their obfuscations on our own time, between
> bouts of paid work.

OK, before we continue with a flame about what is wrong and what is
right: it seems that the transition to the merged usr is *not*
mandatory so far, but it is actually performed at install time. I am
currently trying to understand at which point during installation this
happens, so that we could just make it optional (i.e, with an opt-in
semantics).

StayTuned

KatolaZ