:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):

> What *I'm* talking about is I want to continue having /sbin separate
> from /bin and /usr/bin, because the /sbin varieties holds statically
> compiled programs guaranteed to work at the earliest of boots, and in
> the case of /sbin, guaranteed to be available as soon as / is mounted.

Steve, I'm not sure where you arrived at the notion that binaries in
/sbin should be expected to be, or necessarily ought to be, static
binaries. I'm not aware of any such norm. (Compiling static is a crude
but certainly effective way to end some dependency issues, but not
necessarily desirable.)

In case you were not aware (and absolutely no condescension intended if
you were already well aware of this), the 's' in 'sbin' signifies
'normally needed only by the superuser'. It doesn't signify static.

(BTW, .signature below is #500. Entire herd gathers here:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/humour/sigs-rickmoen.html )

--
Cheers,                "I never quarrel with a man who buys ink by the barrel."
Rick Moen                    -- Rep. Charles B. Brownson (R-Indiana), ca. 1960